Monday, January 31, 2011

Starting to work for the Company

I had known two of the founders of the Company since 1992.

In 1999, I was working for the Corporation, in Vancouver, to develop CAATS, the Canadian Automated Air Traffic System. I was starting to become uncomfortable with the Corporation. So, I asked the Company if I could work for them. Their response was positive.

My first idea was to leave the Corporation, but work for them as a self-employed consultant as well as work part-time for the Company. The Corporation did not agree. Someone suggested to the management of the Corporation that I should be allowed to work part-time. So, this is what I did initially.

I was not sure that working at home through the Internet for the Company was a a good fit for me. Working part time, I would learn if it was the case.

So I started to work 10 hours per week for the Company and 30 hours for the Corporation. And I saw that I could work alone. The main question had been: will I get up in the morning when I can do it whenever I want? Fortunately, I am a morning guy and the answer to this question was a definitive Yes.

Several months later, I started working 20 hours for the Corporation and 20 hours for the Company. And I was comforted in my belief that I could work easily for the Company.

Finally, in September 2001, I resigned completely from the Corporation and started to work full time for the Company. I have never regretted it since.

No comments:

Post a Comment