Tuesday, February 01, 2011

How I was perceived by my children

When I started to work at home for the Company, my children were between 16 and 22 years of age.

My daughters Petunia and Elisabeth were worried by this work move. They did not understand how a business that was producing only free software could be sustainable. I had to reassure them several times that the Company was very healthy and had never lost money from its creation.

Without consciously realizing it, they had the impression that working at home on a computer was not "real" work. So, I must have a lot of free time, and as I was at home the whole day, could I do this or that for them during the day? I had to explain that I was not to be disturbed during my working hours, even though they were very flexible.

When their friends were asking them what kind of job I had, they had a hard time explaining it. At some point, Petunia told me that she was now answering that she did not know exactly what I was doing, because when she did, her friends did not believe her. Some of them had even said jokingly that I must be a spy.

No, I am not a spy. But you don't have to believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment