Saturday, February 05, 2011

Mail delivery on Saturday

I recently realized that the mail was distributed here in Miami.

Canada Post stopped delivering mail on Saturdays in 1969. When I was living in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in 1979-1982, it was already the case: no mail on Saturday.

Daisy tells me that in Hungary too, there is no mail on Saturday.

Up to yesterday, I was convinced that there was no mail on Saturday in France too, but after verification, I learned that the mail was still distributed on Saturday in France. However, in France, newspapers are often distributed by mail, specially in the country. Suppressing mail on Saturday would mean: no week-end newspaper distribution.

I still believe that suppressing mail distribution on Saturday in the United States would save money. And the United States Postal Service desperately need to save money.

Some mail order businesses, such as Amazon, do not agree with this position, saying that it would not be good for customers. But, as I said, this is what has already been the case in Canada for more than 40 years, and Amazon is doing well there.

No comments:

Post a Comment