Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Gun shot in high school

In France, in my days, high school was called "lycée" and started in
"sixième" (grade 6) and ended in "terminale" (grade 12).

For the two first years (grade 6 & 7), I was in an establishment now called "Lycée Stéphane Mallarmé", and the next five years in "Lycée Honoré de Balzac" in the XVIIth "arrondissement" of Paris.

At Balzac, in "quatrième" (grade 8), I was 13 years old. One day, during recess, I was talking to one of my comrades, whose name I don't remember.

We were alone, and there were nobody near us. This guy told me that he had a gun, and he showed to me a small hand gun that he put back in his pocket. He assured me that he was very careful and that there was no bullet in the chamber.

Suddenly, I heard a loud noise and I saw a hole on the cement we were standing on, some ten centimeters from his right foot. Apparently, he had not been careful enough and he had pressed the trigger. We were fortunate to not having been injured.

We were both scared of what could have happened. Needless to say, he never brought back the gun to school again!

I remember this episode, when I learned that a gun was accidentally shot today in Gardenia High School in California.

No comments:

Post a Comment