Sunday, January 16, 2011

Working while traveling across North America

I have made several cross-country trips across North America, and each time I was able to work almost every day. The trick is to always choose a campground or a motel with a Wifi or Ethernet connection to the Internet.

In November 2005, with my eldest brother Philippe, we went south in a 22 foot RV from Vancouver to San Diego and back through Washington state, Oregon, California and Nevada. We visited three of my colleagues from the Company that live in Washington state, Cupertino and San Diego. One month on the road.

In May-June 2007, again with my brother Philippe, we made a two month RV trip of 12,000 kilometers through 6 Canadian provinces and 17 US states. We went through Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City. Then Vermont (a week at the country house of the president of the Company), Boston, New York city, Washington, DC (where we visited my son in Maryland). Then, on our way back, Saint Louis, Kansas City, Rapid City (Mount Rushmore), Billings, Missoula and Spokane. During this trip, a business meeting was organized by one of our commercials with one of our customer in Saint Louis.

We made another trip with Philippe and my companion Daisy in June 2009, in British Columbia and Alberta.

Finally, in the first half of December 2010, with Daisy, we moved from Calgary to Miami, a big difference in climates! We had packed all our furniture in a U-Haul trailer that we towed behind our car for eleven days.

The Company was made aware in advance of all these trips and, as I already said, I was able to work almost every day on the road.

This is one reason why I often say: "I am never on vacation, I am always on vacation".

No comments:

Post a Comment