Thursday, March 10, 2011

Setting up my new MacBook

Yesterday, I started to set up my new MacBook laptop. As it is a Mac, it is already ready to work. So, I was able pretty quickly to get all the source code from the Company servers and build the products. I simply had to download and install Xcode, that is freely available from the Apple web site.

I also downloaded Firefox (web browser) and Thunderbird (e-mail tool), as this is what I have been using on Linux and Windows. What took me a long time was to transfer my Thunderbird profile, so that I keep all my e-mails on the new laptop. Compressed, the Thunderbird profile takes 900 Mega Bytes! The procedure that I found on the Internet works beautifully.

This morning, I also transferred personal files. Then, I installed OpenOffice.org.

The next step was to install VMware, that the Company provided. And I have just installed Windows 7 Professional that I received from the Company yesterday.

I will have to be accustomed to the specifics on MacOS compared to Linux with GNOME. Already, I am missing the 18 (3 rows of 6) work spaces that I have been using on the Linux laptop.

Something that I am surprised to like is the multi-touch track pad. I was sure that I would need a 3-button mouse, but I am no longer so sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment