Friday, March 04, 2011

Getting a new laptop

My current working laptop is a Dell 15" Latitude D830, with two cores, that is running GNU/Linux. I have had it for four years. It still works well enough, except for the letter L that no longer works. I bought a wireless keyboard, so the disappearance of the letter L is no longer a problem.

I will keep this laptop, but I have asked the Company to buy me a MacBook 17", with four cores, where I will run MacOS and Windows 7. I will then be able to run three different operating systems on two machines, one in 32 bit and the other in 64 bit.

The process to get this new laptop was amazingly simple. Last Tuesday, I sent an e-mail to the president and the vice-president of the Company explaining why I would like to get this new laptop, and they both replied within less that 10 minutes "Sounds fine". That's it, no need to more paperwork, I had the approval. The reasoning is that the cost of a good machine every 3 years is less that 2% of the cost of a good engineer and it will increase the productivity of the engineer by more than 2%.

Also, there is no operating system war inside the Company. On their laptops, the president is running Windows (he used to run OS/2), the vice-president is running MacOS and many engineers are running GNU/Linux.

I expect to receive the new laptop next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment