Monday, May 30, 2011

Why did they asked for you by name?

I have never been good at writing letters. The truth is I have always hated it, as far as I can remember. Even, when I was a kid, my mother had a hard time to make me write thank you letters after I spent several days of my vacations at one of my cousins'house, what is called in French a "lettre de château".

During the 10 months I spent in the south Pacific in French Polynesia, I did not write more than 2 letters to my parents.

My mother had a brother who was a Captain in the French Navy. At the time he was head of Communications at the French Navy Headquarters in Paris. The Navy had just establish a new world wide radio channel to be used for some kind of emergencies, I don't remember the details.

One day, we received a message from the Navy Hearquarters indicating that, to try out this new radio channel from the south Pacific, I was personally to call Paris and to ask to speak to Captain Yves D..., my uncle.

Needless to say the Commanding Officer of the Trieux was very surprised: "Why did they asked for you by name?"

So, I explained that it was probably to ask how I was doing and to tell me to write letters to my parents, that were becoming anxious to learn from me.

So, I called and spoke to my uncle, and it turned out that my guess was correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment